wiscuba.com
Devils Lake - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Devils Lake (/showthread.php?tid=1153)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Re: Devils Lake - ScubaDo - 07-19-2007

I've been back in the lake lately and didn't have any problems.  I did wear a skin suit under a shorty.  I was in the weeds and silt and didn't get one itch.  I did get some nice video of the bass.  For those of you who haven't done it yet, I highly recommend doing some night diving here.  Big perch will come check out your light.  Be sure to check out the large rocks on the East shore,  There's a huge bass hiding out in there.  I was hoping to see more catfish, only saw two of them.

Re: Devils Lake - ScubaDo - 11-07-2007

Anyone been to Devil's Lake lately?  I was there about a month ago and the viz was about 2'.  Wondering what the latest temp and viz is.  Planning on diving this Friday afternoon and Sunday morning.

Re: Devils Lake - FreediveWI - 11-07-2007

My main dive buddy was there a week ago and said it was a mess.

He was trying to retrieve some insturments they had planted on the bottom, as part of his job with the university, and couldn't see a thing. The whole bottom of the lake is black and some, unknown, substance has been leaching out of the bottom. The stuff is jet black and covering all of their gear. Vis was less than 2' with a dive light. Everything coming out of the pipe, also part of the project, was black and smelled like rotten eggs. So far all the higher up's are completely confused as to the sudden change- for the worse.

He did mention that the vis on the bottom of Fish Lake was pretty good- but dark.

Mendota is starting to hit clear phase again and would be the best bet for a local dive. Water temps are around 51F right now:

Jon

Re: Devils Lake - dwitt2n - 11-07-2007

...I was there on 10/25 & 10/27 on the east shore. It was much better than what it had been for most of September & October...vis then was prettty much a memory...    .....the last dives water temps were mid 50's...if you plan the east shore mid day to get what's left of the sun - vis could be as much as 15 feet.....

Re: Devils Lake - MikeS - 11-08-2007

Very similar conditions on 11/3. 

Re: Devils Lake - Dewit2it - 01-13-2008

That sounds like hydrogen sulphide, and lot's of it!  That sounds like more than what rotting matter can produce.  I just sent out a Email to USGS notifying them about it.  We might have something waking up.  Everyone watch your water temps for a hot spring there.  And stay away from that black gunk!  If any of you have seen Cousteau's episode on Clipperton Island, they dove the throat of the volcano.  The hydrogen sulphide was so strong it went thru their drysuits and full face masks, and burned their skin and eyes.  Even their yellow cylinders turned olive drab during the dive.  Not cool!

Re: Devils Lake - matt t. - 01-14-2008

Could be HELL coming to breakfast....... :o

Re: Devils Lake - MikeS - 01-14-2008

Seems to me that if you don't disturb the silt, you wouldn't have to deal with anything nasty.

Re: Devils Lake - MNDiveLady - 01-30-2008

Or it could be buried barrels of toxic chemicals that have leached, corroded or rusted their way through the metal or plastic drums and are now entering the aquafir. 

But with a name like "Devil's Lake"  do you suppose there has been volcanic activity in the relatively recent past?

Re: Devils Lake - MikeS - 03-16-2008

In case anyone has not read up on the lake's name, here's this: