wiscuba.com
Anywhere thawed out yet? - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Anywhere thawed out yet? (/showthread.php?tid=1348)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Re: Anywhere thawed out yet? - Nate - 03-20-2007

Thanks, Cant wait!!!

Re: Anywhere thawed out yet? - Dewit2it - 03-20-2007

Did a photography run to Door County today.  The Bay side is still frozen, but is open around Green Bay.  The Michigan side is open and crystal clear.  Waves at Cave Point were a little rough but diveable away from the rock shelves.  The algae has been scoured off by the wave action and were nice and bright.  It looked like there might have been a current running from the south, and there was some serious looking undertow in some of the rock shelf cuts.  There is a lot of ice still piled up on the shore.

While at Sturgeon Bay a laker put to sea with the help of a Coast Guard tug.  I think the tug was doing some ice breaking duty.  It was weird hearing the ice cracking near shore from the water displacement.  The water level looks down about a foot or so from last year.  Much more of the Bullhead Point wrecks were exposed than last year.

Re: Anywhere thawed out yet? - Swimjim - 03-21-2007

Thanks for the Door county report.  I look forward to sneaking up there on a regular basis.  The lake is low right now, but what you are seeing is a seasonal shift.  By August most if not all of the drop will come back.  It is common for Lake Michigan to rise and fall as much as two feet during any given year.

Jim

Re: Anywhere thawed out yet? - moneysavr - 03-21-2007

Jim
Tell the truth-
I told you to not pull the plug out of the lake in front of your house!
Brad

Re: Anywhere thawed out yet? - smoothfin - 03-22-2007

Oh man, if he pulls the plug to drain it then how does he fill it back up?  I hope the guy that did his pipes isn't the same one that did bathrooms at Miller Park.

Re: Anywhere thawed out yet? - Swimjim - 03-22-2007

SSSSHHHHH!!!  It's my new business.  I'm bottling lake water and selling it to flat landers and yuppies.
:o

Jim

Re: Anywhere thawed out yet? - MikeS - 03-22-2007

Come one... there has to be an open lake by now.  What about Devil's???

Re: Anywhere thawed out yet? - Swimjim - 03-22-2007

Lake Michigan is wide open.  I think the inland lakes will take a bit more warm temps and rain to thaw out.  Thats coming up quick.  It takes awhile to thaw a foot of ice.

Jim

Re: Anywhere thawed out yet? - cjrautmann - 03-24-2007

I just called around this morning.  Pewaukee and Nagawicka are still iced over with some open spots.  Phantom Lake in Mukwonago is open. 
I'm headed out there with some friends to try out a side-scan sonar Sunday 5pm.  I wonder what we're going to look like? 

Re: Anywhere thawed out yet? - FreediveWI - 03-24-2007

I jumped in Monona today to do a little spearing but the vis was so bad I couldn't even see the end of gun! >Sad

Water was crystal clear two weeks ago but all the ice melt, rain, and warm temps seem to be taking their toll. It might be a little while before the vis gets good again around here.

Jon