wiscuba.com
Anywhere thawed out yet? - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Anywhere thawed out yet? (/showthread.php?tid=1348)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Re: Anywhere thawed out yet? - ethanb - 03-11-2007

We've done the hike a half dozen or so times over the years, but I haven't done it since getting a boat two years ago.  Come some time during the summer and we'll take you.  It's a fun dive and actually is worth the hike (even though the habitat has collapsed), though it's far easier from the boat.  Unfortunately they don't allow vehicles without getting a permit (which is very difficult to get nowadays - we haven't done a drive-and-dive there since at least 2002), so they won't let you ride your motorcycle.  I've always wanted to try it with a bike and trailer though.

3than

Re: Anywhere thawed out yet? - FreediveWI - 03-11-2007

Govt. Pier is the northern breakwall along Mc Kinnley Marina.

I've always dove the habitat by boat as it's far easier. This year I do have the bike set-up for doing it on foot and will give it a go once the ice thaws.

Here's a shot of my new ride.  8)

Re: Anywhere thawed out yet? - Chris H - 03-11-2007

Cool.  I see it has an extended swing arm for drag racing. ;D

Re: Anywhere thawed out yet? - ScubaDo - 03-11-2007

I am planning on being at the outlet around 12:15 today, I forgot I have to do something late this morning.  It would interesting to watch you freedivers do your thing.  No way would I be able to keep up with you guys with that fin :o.  I've been learning a little about the sport over the last year and the world records are amazing to me.

Re: Anywhere thawed out yet? - ScubaDo - 03-11-2007

Apparently it's too warm out lately, the pumps haven't been on recently and the lake froze over Sad.  Make sense?!  Gonna try again Monday after work.

Re: Anywhere thawed out yet? - matt t. - 03-12-2007

We've done the hike a half dozen or so times over the years, but I haven't done it since getting a boat two years ago.  Come some time during the summer and we'll take you.  It's a fun dive and actually is worth the hike (even though the habitat has collapsed), though it's far easier from the boat.  Unfortunately they don't allow vehicles without getting a permit (which is very difficult to get nowadays - we haven't done a drive-and-dive there since at least 2002), so they won't let you ride your motorcycle.  I've always wanted to try it with a bike and trailer though.

3than
[/quote]
Just pulling your leg about the motorcycle  Wink. We may have to check that out this summer.

Re: Anywhere thawed out yet? - ScubaDo - 03-12-2007

Got to get wet today.  A lot of ice melted today. Large open water area at the outlet.  At the shore you can't see 6 inches, about 30' out it's great viz 20' plus.  Saw a nice large tiger muskie at top of the slope.  It was checking me out as much as I was eyeing him.  We were within 5' of each other several times.  I was kicking myself for not having a camera with me.  Later I found a good size crayfish that I would have loved to try to feed the Muskie, but I was too low on air to go back to find him.  Brought it home and fed it to my Redtail Catfish.

Re: Anywhere thawed out yet? - Dewit2it - 03-16-2007

A couple of small holes have opened in the bay on Skumbago.  If we get some more warm weather, the reef should open up.  (props & lures)

Re: Anywhere thawed out yet? - Nate - 03-19-2007

Is Devils Lake opened up yet?

Re: Anywhere thawed out yet? - ScubaDo - 03-19-2007

No, I stopped there on my way home from Baraboo.  By the weekend I think half the lake will be open.  I might attempt going on Sunday, but will call 3 Devils first.  Saturday, I am going to the Ghost Ship Festival in Milwaukee.