wiscuba.com

Full Version: The "Lakeland" in Sturgeon Bay 5.6.06
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yesterday we headed up to Sturgeon Bay with Greg from Shipwreck Adventures to dive the Lakeland. Ended up doing a 20 minute 180ft dive. Bottom temps were in the 37-39 degree range, with visibility around 60 ft.
This was my 1st dive on the wreck, and I was really impressed. The ship was carrying a load of cars when it sunk under "questionable" circumstances. The cars are all still there to see. A little past the 1/2 way point back towards the stern the ship is broken in 1/2. There are cars spilling out both sides of the break as well as a bunch still in place below deck. I also saw a Salmon back on the stern making runs through a school of baitfish. Great morning diving. Smile
Hi Matt

For those of you that dive the Lakeland. In September of 1999 an Iowa diver went missing while diving the Lakeland. To this date he has not been found. I heard last year that someone since had hooked the body  with their anchor, drifting off the wreck before the body came unhooked and drifted off. Who knows where he is now.
Sorry to hear that. Something else to look for I guess.