wiscuba.com

Full Version: Pressed Steel, In the news
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well Boys,
Looks like Pressed steel will not be around for much longer,
See Wed Milwaukee Biz journal,
I see your tanks are DOT cert till Aug-2007, Then you can get a exempt?
ouch!
wonder what they will be  selling on e-bay by the end of the month?
any one like to buy a tank company?
Here is the article.

With so many experts on some of the other diving forums, I'm certain that somebody will be able to tell us what we can do with our PST tanks in a matter of a few days. In the mean time I'm going to continue to use mine to safely dive within my ability and within my dive plan insuring that I have a redundant air supply and enough gas for another team member should the need arise.  Aluminum 80s are for deco gas or bottom stages.....

Interesting how some people get their jollies about being the bearer of bad news. :Smile  What axe do you have to grind and why does it seem like you are having fun with it?

So are you "scubagoomp" on TDS too?  Apparently he/she is having a good time too being a dump bunny on that site.

Have you thought about the LDS's who sell/service PST tanks and the shit their going to go through when loudmouths are out there shooting at the hip about an unresolved issue.  This topic has been beat to death on other boards and none of this speculation is at all constructive.  I don't think anyone knows as of yet what will happen if Pressed Steel folds.  If they do, they are not talking.  Unless there is something constructive to add, please STFU (Silence Thy Fiendish Undertones)  >Big Grin
Nope ,
No axe to grind Todd,Just think it is news that folks waiting for equipment should know,Lots of LDS have been waiting and holding deposits in good faith,Now folks can make up their own mind to wait or mabe purchase one of the many other steel tanks on the market.
  It sucks as it was a good tank brand and one of the first HP out,
  I waited a long time and gave up  on PST! And purchased another Brand HP steel tanks And they are great!
Several pals I dive with have purchased PST and have major concerns on the DOT Cert,,.
  So as chris says with as many experts out there maybe we can find out if in worse case the brand or company is no more what the PST owners can do?
  I would think with such a great brand name, and skilled work force some one would pick the co. up.

I agree that everyone who owns or is purchasing a tank from Pressed Steel should be aware of what is going on with the company and make their own decisions on what to do next.  But to inflame the situation with innuendo's like your first post is piss-poor and immature especially when you have provided no specific information other than a news article.  There are quite a few people out there who are confident that there will be no problems with the PST  "E series" cylinder exemption regardless of what happens to the company.  The thread listed below highlights most of the same concerns about the PST situation for those who would like to have more information.

We have no definitive answers as of yet but given the volume of cylinders out there right now and the fact that there is at least one manufacturer out there with a virtually identical exemption to the "E series" cylinders, I don't see a problem regardless of what happens to the company.

PST Exemption Link--- 

Worthington Exemption Link---

Personally, I own 3 sets of double PST's and I am not worried.

Omicron

If anyone has any PST E-series tanks they need to get rid of, ship them to me and I can take care of it.

I'll even pay for shipping.
Got an email today from DiveRite with the following information about the PST E series cylinders:

For 2006, Dive Rite Express is introducing Worthington brand SCUBA cylinders to replace Pressed Steel Tank brand. Dive Rite Express has been one of PST's largest SCUBA cylinder customers for the last few years and we loyally stuck with them through some very tedious product shortages and shipping delays. PST made a quality product and for years it was the only SCUBA cylinder available with the hot-dipped galvanized coating preferred by our customers. Unfortunately, PST has apparently entered receivership and future availability of PST SCUBA cylinders is uncertain. We have already had some questions regarding the status of the DOT E-9791 exemption on the 3442 psi E-Series cylinders. Should that exemption be allowed to expire, filling and hydro testing of the 3442 psi E- series cylinders would technically no longer be allowed by DOT regulations. Don't panic, because PST recently got their exemption renewed through August of 2007. We expect by that time either PST will be purchased as a going concern and the exemption will continue to be renewed, or the DOT will move forward with issuing a new higher pressure general specification (similar to the low-pressure 3AA specification) which would grandfather the PST E- series cylinders.

Omicron

I caught that one yesterday too.

It would be nice to see the DOT just come up w/ a standard similar to the 3AA one for these HP tanks instead of needing the exception.

My offer to take care of anyone's E series PST tanks still stands.

Thanks for the info Todd.  Although I'm relatively certain that the info is correct, I don't think that Dive Rite Express has any direct connection with Dive Rite.  Pehaps somebody else can clarify.  I'm still keeping my PST tanks. 
Pages: 1 2