wiscuba.com

Full Version: spring straps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Which brand of spring clips do you guys use that would be in line with the DIR philosophy?  I received a pair of spring straps for Christmas but they still have a plastic looking snap-in connector on both ends.  The picture of the spring straps in the DIR book look to be permanently attached to the fins but not with a snap-in buckle type system.

Omicron

Depends on the fin.  I've made my own for both Jetfins and Mares Quatro fins (or any fin w/ the post style connector).  These straps are permanently attached.  I haven't actually bought any straps.

This is a decent guide on making them for your post-style fins:

I can't find an article on how to do it for Jetfins, but if you want more info I can type it up.
Omicron, you have answered my question but created another one.  I have twin jet fins but now I am considering their use.  Seems I may have to shop around for a fin that has a post style attachement.  Would you be willing to point me in a direction so that I could start my investigation for an appropriate type fin?  Turtles perhaps?

Omicron

I wouldn't switch fins just to do a spring strap on them (unless you want to switch fins of course...). 

Turtles, Jetfins...all those fins need a little bit more work for a DIY spring strap as they don't have the post on them.  You need springs, some stainless wire, and a two small Delrin rod pieces.  If you were to want to do it, I have lots of leftover Delrin rod and I could send you a small chunk for a couple of bucks - otherwise you can only but it in five foot lengths.

I liked my Quatro's a lot, they were just too small for my feet (size 15...) so when they came out with the XXL Jetfins I snapped those up right away Smile
If you are really concerned with DIR, they will tell you to get rid of those fins(ANY split fin) long before you need to worry about fitting spring straps to them.    Manta makes straps that have a SS connection for the post style fins.  Scubapro and Halycon both offer spring straps for the Jetfin/Turtle fin.  Keep in mind that the Turtle fin is one size and that size is BIG.  If you are wearing the Twin Jets now, you may want to consider the standard Jet Fin if you want a DIR fin with spring straps. 
I looked at the XS scuba power fins.  I have small feet so the turtles may be too big but the power fins look like they may work.  My LDS has a pair of them in thier rental department so I think I will try them. 

Head on over to your local Scubapro dealer and get yourself some Jet Fins.  Where is local?  I know that Divepoint Scuba has Jets in stock.
Chris, I live in Oshkosh
Divepoint is essentially a LDS then Smile
Right again but then I suppose that would make Mountain Bay in Appleton a CLDS (closer local dive shop)
Pages: 1 2 3