wiscuba.com

Full Version: Trainings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Any departments doing any big trainings coming up?  Let us know what you have going on.

Brian
Kenosha County Scout Leaders Rescue
Hi Brian,
Glen Heitman offers a fair amount of Training in Lake Villa, IL just south of you.  Let me know if you'd like and I'll forward him your email address.
Safe Diving,
Greg
I will be starting several DEMP (Diving Emergency Management) classes shortly.  If you are not familiar with the DEMP program please check this link from the Divers Alert Network website:

Graduating the DEMP program is like receiving your Black Belt in Karate.  It gives you a strong foundation to build on and the confidence to handle a dive related injury.

I will be covering O2 Administration for Scuba Diving Injuries, First Aid for Hazardous Marine Life Injuries and Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs) for Scuba Diving.  I will be offering discounts to all dive clubs and discounts to local PSD groups.  I will also be offering the new DAN On-Site Neurological Assessment for Divers course within the next month.

If interested please contact me via email for more information.  If you are with a dive club or PSD group please let me know approximately how many members would be interested in attending the training.

Thank you

Rich

rich@wishdive.com
How does this DAN program differ from the New Rescue Diver/ EFR  and Care for kids program?
It differs quite a bit…

The Diving emergency management provider (DEMP) is for someone that already has basic CPR and First Aid training.  As an Emergency First Response Instructor I personally feel that with the addition of the DEMP training, one is able to provide a wider range of care for a scuba diving injury compared to one with basic skills.

Wes since we are both instructors we know that the better the training provided the better the response will be in an emergency situation.  You can take a look below for a summery of the training modules for the DEMP program.  This is another set of tools that one should have that will allow a broader range of care specializing in SCUBA DIVING INJURIES.

To become a Diving Emergency Management Provider one needs to have the following certifications through Divers Alert Network:

Oxygen First Aid for Scuba Diving Injuries
As a recreational diver, you can receive training to provide vital first aid that can make a difference to a scuba diver with decompression illness. The DAN Oxygen Provider Course provides entry-level training in the recognition and management of possible diving-related injuries using emergency oxygen first aid.

First Aid for Hazardous Marine Life Injuries
Serious hazardous marine life injuries are rare, but most divers experience minor discomfort from unintentional encounters with fire coral, jellyfish and other marine creatures. This course teaches divers to minimize these injuries and reduce diver discomfort and pain.

Automated External Defibrillators for Scuba Diving
More than 10 percent of all dive fatalities are actually caused by cardiovascular disease, according to DAN dive accident and fatality statistics. This course teaches divers and other interested parties to provide care for sudden cardiac arrest including the use of an automated external defibrillator (AEDs).

Rich

Thanks - You are right the broader your training the better prepared people are.

Thanks for the insight..
Hope all is well with you as well.

Everything is doing great!!  I am hearing wonderful things coming out of the Madison diving community.  Sounds like you are doing great at getting everyone blowing bubbles!

If you are interested I am trying to put together a small group for a private charter on a couple of the wrecks on Lake Michigan.  Let me know if you would like to go.

Rich

getting excited about the big day?
Paul has a good point regarding wilderness first-aid course. How many times have you been backpacking, canoeing, or even diving in a place remote enough where adequate rescue facilities are several hours, or even a day or two away? This workshop is conducted by the Wilderness  Medical Associate (). The  training and preparation students receive will help them prepare for emergency  situations  in the outdoors, including utilizing techniques where you might have to use improvised first-aid equipment from your surroundings. This workshop devotes significant time to practical sessions  and realistic rescue simulations. Successful completion results in a two-year  certification from WMA.

I know some on this board dislike Hoofers, but the Hoofer's Outing club usually sponsors this training two times a year. It's held in Madison at Memorial Union. Cost is usually $60 for students, $110 for non-students, $140 for non-Hoofer members.

If your interested, they also and the Ski and Snowboard club sponsor an avalanche awareness program. Might by useful in some of those high altitude dive locations out west.  Wink
Washington County Sheriff (west bend, wi) is host Dive Rescue International, Dive Rescue 1 June 27, 28, and 29. Check out Dive Rescue's web site for more.