wiscuba.com

Full Version: Photo Newbie needs some help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
???

I I am a photo newbie in every sense of the word and I need some serious help! I have a list of questions for those of you with more U/W photo experience than me, a.k.a. everybody. ;D

1. When returning from Belize last year I noticed that once I developed the film we brought back w/us all the pics were very grainy. I asked the customs agent not to put it through the X-ray scanner and they sent it through another machine.
What the heck is that machine and is it the cause of my grainy pics?

Also is it better to develop them before coming home?

Do they x-ray that stuff if I mail the film home for development?

2. I just “upgraded” form the disposable cameras ( told you I’m a newbie) to a Sea-Life Sport Diver camera. Any suggestions for good pics with this camera?

3. Is it worth my while to buy a macro lens right away? I’m guessing that I’d start with a 3x.

4. Is there a good book out there for a photo virgin like me?

Thanks
I too have had film go through machines in Belize to come back very grainey and dark. I now have lead bags for all my film. When they go through the xray, the agent will usually do a hand check. I haven't had any problems since using the bags.
Here is the official word from Kodak on x-Ray machines:

As far as hints and tips for better photos, make sure you get close to your subject. Trying to get photos of fish is nearly impossible with small disposable or fixed lens cameras. They're way too smart and too fast for us! Start out with pictures of fixed objects, like coral reefs and divers who will pose for you, then progress on to more challenging things. Also, be sure to stay as shallow as possible, since the Sport Diver camera only has a small onboard flash, which is practically useless underwater. Staying shallow will allow more natural light to illuminate your subject without getting too blue....When the $$ permits, invest in the accessory strobe, which will be a great source of light for taking photos in deeper water and even better macro or closeup shots.

Yes! get the macro lens right away....macro shots turn out to be the easiest to take for most newer photographers as all you need to do is point and shoot.

Books....try ones written by Norbert Wu, Stuart Westmoreland, or David Doubillet, some of the best UW photographers out there.

Colin.

Colin,
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna check out the bookstore today. I'll try to post some pics when we get back from Mexico at the end of the month.

Chad
Ok we're back and We had a great time in Cancun. I can safely say that most of us remember most of the trip >Big Grin

Here are some of the pics from our dives. I used a Sealife Sport Diver Camera with no additional strobe or lenses and Kodak ISO200 film.
I think that these ones truned out the best. I left out the shots that were too close, too far and those that were obviously over or underexposed. There was a little loss of picture quality due to the scanning process...sorry

Anybody who has some tips on better shots (not the kind you drink.....we had enough of those last week) :-X I would sure like to hear your input.

Thanks
Chad
More Pics

and more
More still..........
Last one.

I think we're ok in this one..........ok bad joke, sorry.

Chad
Some nice pictures.  Get in as close as possible will make a more dramatic picture.  You can see from the backscatter that the on camera flask is  a problem.  You need a strobe or an external light (such as a HID light) to help this out.

A URPro filter would also help to correct the colors in the picture.

Kee on plugging away.  Photography is a great way to help enjoy the dives.

Doug
Pages: 1 2