wiscuba.com

Full Version: Logical next step?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Looking for the next practical step in equipment. My thoughts are:

1. Purchase Tek3 doubles reg set-up. Advantages are having two regs and tanks in case my buddy or I encounter an "ass-holes and elbows" moment. Furthermore, as I'm currently OW, Drysuit, Nitrox and finishing Deep, my next step will be Advanced Nitrox/ Deco. If I get the Tek3, I have my doubles set for the future, although I won't take the class and check-out dives until spring 2012.

2. Purchase a 40 cu.ft with gauge and reg. Advantages are having another reg and tank....................and use it as a "bail-out". Also, in the future, I can use it as a stage/ deco bottle and won't have wasted equipment.

Just curious to hear what someone other than the LDS thinks; maybe some of you have made this decision in the past and hind-sight's 20-20.

Matt
Get a CCR, jking.

I'd say go with the doubles set-up. Not sure if I'd put up the cost of a Tek3 rig, but to each their own. Buy a set of doubles used, they'll hold their value. Pick up a decent set of Dive Rite regs, they'll be easy to service, and are usually decent quality. I've always believed diving doubles is safer, more comfortable, and more appropriate for use northern folk. It'll be less task loading than learning to dive with a 40 (correctly). 

Just my .02.
I've already got a doubles set-up (albeit twin 95's) with isolation manifold (200 bar, I think) and Highland tank bands. I've got my XTX50/ DST that I dive singles with. I was thinking about picking up another to match, but then I've got to swap all of my hoses whenever I change configurations. I was thinking about picking up smaller tanks to make a set, and keep the 95's as singles, but then I've got even more money wrapped up.

I figured if I'm not planning on needing doubles for another year, maybe I should save the cash on Tek3's and buy a 40 and maybe a light (I was thinking Salvo 21w).

P.S. CCR is coming, maybe another 5 years and some sucking up to the wife.

Matt
Buy another reg to match, and get an H-valve for your singles set up so the regs/hoses stay the same.
Matt has got the plan.  This weekend, I dove singles(E8-130) with H-valves and doubles(2 x E8-130) with no changing of regulator configuration and the confidence of having a duel system even on a single tank.

Get the second regulator and H-valves.

Doug
And you looked darn good doing it!

You could also split the 95's with H-valves, and buy a cheap set of old PST 72's for a first set of doubles. I have 1 set and am contemplating another set (I have the tanks and manifold, but I need a set of bands). They're cheap (usually $50 each), light, and make a nice set of entry level doubles good for any recreational level wreck diving around here (The Milwaukee, The Wisconsin, etc.).

I dont think youll need a light like the salvo for quite a while, in the great lakes youll have to be using tri-mix to really need a 21w HID, maybe in a quarry it might be nice, but I would put that near the bottom of your wishlist. 

When i was in your shoes w/nitrox and looking at adv. nitrox +deco procedures, I had an atomic m1 and a large steel tank, I choose to buy an al40 and a second m1.  And then a second tank and 3rd M1 when i was getting closer to taking deco procedures. 

youll need a 40 for advanced nitrox and youll need to know how to handle it well, in the mean time its a nice to sling as a pony bottle, its also surprisingly quick to turn a stage reg into a single tank set up.

Considering you already have a set of doubles I would look at at least 1 high performance (din not yoke) reg to set up a doubles rig. Around here your doubles are going to be in deep cold water, so if you want to save money on a reg I would do that on your singles (shallow water) set up.  I personally find doubles more comfortable underwater than a single tank so I wouldn't be surprised if you spend a fair amount of time with them. That extra stability with doubles and lack of true redundancy with an h-valve might be why Ive never been a big fan of a single large cylinder with an h-valve. 

If your serious about looking down the road at a CCR dont be afraid to start collecting stages and stage regs.  I currently have 2 al80's and 2 al40's, each with a stage reg that i feel comfortable with at any depth.  And I would bet that if you asked just about any other CCR diver I am on the short side of equipment. 

good luck with your decisions, if I were you I would rely heavily on my adv. nitrox/deco procedure instructor's advice.  that class is a fair bit more involving than just about any recreational class and if your instructor suggests a certain equipment set up its for a reason. 
I agree that I may not need the Salvo for awhile, but as I'm gathering equipment, I'm planning for the diving to come as well as the diving I may be doing this summer. 155 ft at Site 2 is rather dark, and as my buddy had a free-flow the only light I could shed on the situation was an OMS headlamp which I wore Goodman style. ()

My XTX50 is already DIN, and I was thinking about buying a TX50/ DS4 for the 40cu.ft tank. Slung, I figured I could get a summer of practice with it to eliminate new, unfamiliar equipment come Adv. Nitrox/ Deco. I've been doing some dives with a friends twin 72's and agree that I feel more stable with two on the back than one (which is why I'm torn between buying smaller tanks and Tek3 or bail-out set-up that converts to stage/ deco when I need it & light).

Thanks for all of the advice so far. It's good to get other people's perspectives and read how they rationalize their mindset.

Matt
Al must have a small light ;D. 18/21 watt lights are the standard these days. If you get one you won't be disappointed.
Pages: 1 2 3