wiscuba.com

Full Version: New Redgranite Wisconsin Diving facility
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hello Redgranite quarry in Redgranite Wisconsin is about to Undergo major renovation,
we are about to start excavation behind the quarry of 2 new dive ponds 80x120 with water falling into another
pond 160x180 both ponds averaging 15+ feet deep they will be lined and filled with sand and artificial rock reefs will be placed to create a habitat for the fish.
This will be maintained and a clear pond for divers, swimmers, and snorkelers.
white sand beach with volleyball courts, on site cabins for weekend rent,bathrooms and shower facility,fill station, rentals and much more.the old bank in front is opening up as a restaurant.
But we need advice and help.
We own the property around the quarry but not the quarry itself we want to clear it up more and filter out the silt.
put in piers for safe entry,insert sand on the rocks for softer surface to walk on and safe.
Please e-mail me with Ideas and your support for this project I need everyones support.
Also find us on Facebook Redgranite divers oasis 
Thank you
Neill Urban
Pat LaSage
redgranitediversoasis@ymail.com
The "work" that has been done around the quarry the last couple of years hasn't done anything to protect or help the quarry in any way with the butchering that was done to the natural landscape and resulting runoff. The best thing that could have been done was to leave it as it was and make a mess somewhere else. We used to dive there fairly often, but don't go anymore do to the horrible visibility and rough terrain since the "improvements" started. I'm shocked that the DNR allowed this to happen. I'm sure it hasn't helped the water quality or wildlife (snakes) in the area.
I see your point sometimes you have to go backwards first to go forwards, we have intentions to clarify the water.
The Quarry was growing out of control and used to be dangerous we are proposing to make it a much nicer and safer environment for all.
Since the clean up effort the police will tell you it is easier to patrol Less people drinking and partying, littering and there has been very few injuries and no deaths "knock on wood"
It now looks Cleaner and nicer than ever before and will only get better.
But again only if everyone helps, and not with money but support if divers want a nice place that is safe to dive.
by the way the cloudiness in the water is the silt and we are planing to vacuum it out the silt is from the foliage from the surrounding trees not construction.
Remember it is still a free place to dive and we only want to make it better.
Just a thought but you might be interested in contacting some other dive quarry owners/operators to hear about some of the techniques used to maintain water quality. 

I have dove RG quarry since the 1991 and it has always varied year to year in clarity but this is the worst it has ever been.

Best of luck to you and your efforts.  I hope that you can turn it around!
These people might be able to help with the water clarity concerns...

It sure would be nice to have another "quality" dive site option in the area when Lake Michigan isn't cooperating.

Best of luck
I too have been diving Redgranite since 1991.  I share the opinions of the others who have posted so far. The person that went crazy with the excavators went way too far.

We've had some fun times at Redgranite, and usually stop at the Curve Inn Cafe after a dive, but if there is going to be pond with a waterfall, that changes the whole thing!

Good Luck with your dive oasis.  A bathroom will be a nice addition.  I would leave the backhoe in the garage for a while.

Chris Heiden
Neill,
I did a bit of searching for a thread I remembered reading and found it here.

What can you tell us about all the trees that have been removed on the east side?

Chris
Trees that have been removed were damage, diseased trees although a few weren't and the guy excavating had no authority to remove them.
we have more trees coming down because if we don't cut them down they will fall down
The cloudiness in the water is not the dirt from the construction it is the decomposed foliage from the trees creating the silt under the water and and when disturbed by jumpers, swimmers and divers it stirs It up and being so fine it makes it cloudy and takes time to clear up, we have away of having it removed.
I appreciate the concerns and they are duely noted but now lets go forward and improve the quarry.
Understand, we know this is a popular dive site but it is a popular swimming and jumping area for locals and there has been too many Injuries and death in the history of the quarry.
now it is cleaner and safer
Now going forward we are triing to improve the conditions for the divers that visit the quarry to have better and safer a the access and amenities.
Bathrooms, showers, parking meeting areas and so on
and yet the quarry will still be free
so you support would be helpful and ideas are valuable
Thank you
Neill
You keep throwing that "free" in there. As long as the Lions Park remains public on the SW corner, quarry use will remain free. If you do make significant improvements, I won't mind paying a nominal fee to use restrooms and other amenities. I look forward to seeing your plans and improvements.
The more you try to improve the quarry, the worse it will become.

The silt problem would take suction dredging the walls and entire bottom.  Filtering that mess would need major sand and DE filters.  Final filtering would need sub-micron filtration.  You'd need at least a 6" water dredge to get anywhere fast, and that's a lot of water to filter.

You tech boys up for some saturation diving?  >Big Grin

It's the carp and suckers that are stirring up most of the sediment.  The kids help by bringing suntan lotion, pee, yeast, ect into the water, plus all the runoff and leaves every fall.  All the additives help the algae to grow and make things worse.

The 15' ponds won't stay clear long!  They'll be full of millfoil and be nothing but a mess within a few years.  And the sand bottoms won't help things! 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5