wiscuba.com

Full Version: GUE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How many people on the board are GUE members?

Why or why not?
I would be surprised to find anyone here that is a current or even past GUE member. Their GUE/DIR education and dive protocols are top notch and are hard to beat in any situation. However, IMO the training and travel fees are prohibitive, and with our shorter local dive season and current bad economy, it's hard to meet the requirements to get into their classes as none are taught locally. Back when I was looking to do tech classes, if there had been local GUE instruction I would have investigated them seriously as a training agency. I went with a local TDI instructor instead and have been happy enough with all of my training through that instructor. As a side note, I don't think it's appropriate to be a GUE member without GUE training (makes you look like a "wanna be"). YMMV.
I have been doing some research and comparing Gue to TDI. Specifically looking at how much money it would take to get to a trimix level. The money that you would spend is almost the same. As far as taking the class at home or traveling I have mixed feelings. Do I worry about getting home in time not to piss off the wife and feed the dog or do I travel somewhere and focus on training? I guess that is a decision that will have to be made on an individual level. As far not having local instructors, I know that classes have been taught at Wazee and at Haigh.

What short dive season, I dive year around?

Not trying to start a pissing match, just looking for peoples opinions.
You seem to have it all worked out, so good luck and enjoy the training.
By more concerned with picking an instructor, not which training agency you go through. Just my .02
I was turned off of GUE after listening to some of the supporters online, I wont go into the specifics as I had a post some time ago over it. I did look close at the GUE concept and there are several things I did take out of it as I set up my doubles and started the transition to tech. I have decided to follow the TDI route for a few reasons. The training can be done fairly local. The instructor I know and have been diving with for a few years, the feel good factor. My dive instructor whom taught me everything from "this is a fin" also trained through him. The mind set seems to follow GUE very close with attitude and proper setup and skill proficiency. TDI just seemed to not be as ready to beat up a person who did something slightly different. I am not saying GUE is a bad thing, I am just not sure it is for me. I would like to sit through a GUE seminar, but I prob will not be changing my mind very soon. Just my $000.0200...........
Ok, I made my self the target, give me your best shot!!!!! this usually gets a little chatter going in here!
James

I know for a fact there are people on this forum (and on mnscuba) that have at least gone through the fundamentals classes -- usually held at Wazee.  And I know of a couple tech I guys in the region.  You just won't find that many GUE people because the training isn't as readily available up here as it is in cave country. 

I know for a fact there are people on this forum (and on mnscuba) that have at least gone through the fundamentals classes -- usually held at Wazee.  And I know of a couple tech I guys in the region.  You just won't find that many GUE people because the training isn't as readily available up here as it is in cave country. 

[/quote]
Being a GUE "member" and a past Fundamentals student are 2 different things. A "member" is a paying supporter that helps to fund their ongoing exploration. Anyone can be a "GUE member" for a fee. No GUE education is required to be a member, just some $$$. I also know of several Wiscuba members that have gone through the Fundamentals course (it was more of a seminar than a pass/fail class at the time), but that wasn't the OP's question the way I understood it.