wiscuba.com

Full Version: Buddy system flawed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How about a discussion on the buddy system..

I think that the buddy system is over rated.  I think that sometimes people just assume that because they are diving with a buddy, they are safer than if they were alone.  I have had more than enough occaisons where I was diving with a buddy and I might just as well have been alone because that individual was lacking good situational awareness.  I also have some very good buddies who I trust will be there if I am trying to manage a problem.

So any takers on a discussion?

Without going into a bunch of detail, and having you as my buddy for around 200 dives to date, I agree with what you stated.  There are dives I wouldn't do without a competent buddy, and there are others that I've likely been better off swimming alone.  Every dive has potential issues.  You need to be self sufficient/comfortable in your surroundings, but there have been times that I was very glad to have a buddy there.  If you dive with somebody enough, you know what to expect, and where that person will be at nearly any point during a dive.  On the other hand, if you are on a boat and get thrown in the water with a person you don't know at all, oftentimes it is more of a mess. 

This mess can be lessened with training (i.e. if you had the same instructor you may "click"), but I would hesitate to do a big dive with somebody I didn't know very well. 

I agree with both of you completely. There are some dives that I feel better off swimming it alone for a good shot with the camera or just to avoid a cluster problem with other people.

If you had the same instructor you will have a better chance of having the same fundamental skills in the water and dive somewhat similar. I also feel that if you are doing dives alone, you should have some type of back up system for your gear whether it be a bottom timer to a dive computer or a stage bottle to your back gas. With this in mind, there are a variety of classes that you can take to improve your self awareness of diving alone and help you create a redundancy for all of your gear.

If you dive with a buddy for an extended period of time, then you know when they are about to do something before they do it and they can read your hand signals and body language the same. I also think that any type of major dive should always be done with a buddy you are comfortable diving with and have dove with many times before. If you dive alone you rely on yourself and your skills that you have learned to keep you alive diving alone and how to manage problems without someone else there.

Continue your education, expand your gear for your own safety, and always make sure it is going to be a logical and safe dive before you get in the water, whether it be with or without a buddy.
I find that diving alone is boring.  It's as simple as that.  Diving is a social sport. I've done a couple dozen solo dives in my life.  Only one of those dives was memorable. 

If you feel less safe when you are with a "buddy" then you truly are not practicing the buddy system.  Just because someone is in the water with you and in the general vicinity does not make them a buddy.
Before this thread engulfs in flames, I'm gonna try and get my .02 in. Looking around the room, I see the faces of people who are very equipped to dive solo, (which is what we're really talking about here). That being said, I have seen several divers who are not. In fact, I'd venture to say most divers, as a general statement, are NOT properly trained or even have adaquate experience to dive solo. And have seen on several occasions where a recreational diver has needed a buddy at depth to assist in a bubble leak , a misrouted hose, an out of air emergency, etc.

Really, if you're a recreational diver, diving a single AL80, with no bailout, it is not ok to dive solo. Even with a pony bottle, without knowing things like proper rigging, spacial awareness, and plenty of experience in the environment you diving alone in, a recreational diver should not dive solo. All of the above things are practices you really learn in basic technical training, which is fundamentally solo diving.

I'm of the opinion that more often than not, a buddy is a good thing to have. Now, when you get into things like actual cave and wreck penetation, mixed gas, decompression, CCR, etc. the buddy system can become debatable. For example, when I dive with a CCR, and my buddy is an OC guy with 30 dives under his belt, I'm assuming I'm diving solo. And he's assuming he's diving with a buddy.
Well said.  I don't think this discussion will turn into a flame fest however.  I think we all do pretty good on this board. 

I am definitely not advocating solo diving but I think this is a good thread to help people elevate their awareness in this topic.  Just like anything else, it is important to not become complacent.  The problem is that your buddy may become complacent without you knowing it and I would much rather rely on additional equipment and/or training for support because it doesn't get distracted by humping bluegills.  I feel that the buddy system is an ideal that sometimes loses it's punch when it comes to the reality of diving unless we as divers make it a priority and maintain a high level of situational awareness.
A lot of good thoughts here.  I grew up on the buddy system for a lot of activities, including swimming and whitewater canoeing.  It came natural with scuba.  The comradeship is a big part of it for me.  Most dives are much better when you share it with a good buddy.  This includes friends and family.  Sometimes people that you just met.

I have been teamed up with new dives many times.  I adjust my diving for the new person.  It should be an enjoyable experience for them, how else will they advance and learn?  I get a lot of satisfaction of giving back to the sport and I will use any excuse to dive.  Sometimes humping the bluegills is a lot of fun, especially when Todd is around.  Though he may give you the goat.

Conversely, there are some dives where I will only go with buddies that I know well.  There are dives where I am ready, willing and able to be on my own due to the conditions which may separate me from my buddy.  You need to have the equipment, training, proficiency and mental attitude to do this.  Recreational versus technical is a good distinction.  But remember it is more than having a certification.

In the end it is knowing the limitations and risks.  Preparing for what to do when the risk comes true can be everything.

Here are a few buddies to brighten the post

Doug

My normal buddy is a Jag

Diving with my father is like babysitting

My wife is a terrible diver and hates cold water

...I know the feeling...

My normal buddy still needs help unzipping his drysuit.

Still on for this weekend?
For most of the diving I do I would prefer to have a known proficient buddy. Depending on the dive, if I don't have any of my few "regular" buddies along I may not dive. I think any serious diver for the most part is self sufficient with gear requirements and skill set, but in a bad situation a good buddy could make the difference.
Pages: 1 2