wiscuba.com

Full Version: Clay Banks wreck image?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Dewit2it, I find this very interesting that you can find wrecks off of a Google image. Do you go out and dive/Snorkel on the site to see if your right? If so do you give up your findings to the State?
Right now I'm looking for targets.  I've been going over Wild Gales and trying to correspond the descriptions with nav charts.  I'm going to try diving these targets, and hopefully get HD video of them if they are wrecks/debris.  And yes, the state will get a copy of findings. 
Very neat. Just like Indiana Jones.  ;D
Here's another possible on the south end of Whitefish Bay.  The crosshairs are on it, and it is in the location for a wreck listed in Wild Gales.  You would want to watch for currents on this, as a current from the north could cause a rip along that finger same as on the north end of Whitefish Bay with currents from the south.

Edit:

Here's the Glasglow in Lily Bay.  This is a good referance for the size of a wreck.

I too will be giving the state a call with what I find,  This isn't a treasure hunting thing.  The WUAA has a field survey written up for the clay banks area that I'm interested in, which is also in my "backyard" so to speak.  According to the field survey, there are between 20-25 wrecks in that area alone that haven't been found or have been found and lost again.  Most of the wrecks are going to be shallow or shore dives and yahoo maps is just helping us out with areas to look.  I'm hoping that I can get together with Dewit2it this year, between his cameras and my boat, I'm really looking forward to this spring.  The nitrogen is flowing already!!!!!

Chris

Good reading at about clay banks
Hey guys,
If you need some more info on the sites your looking at and have some time hit me up I can give you a guy that can give up the names of the sites your looking at or put names to them,local writer from the Peninsula Pulse -and the Door County Av, Jon Paul Vanharpen-he has a great knowledge of most of the sites in Door County I think you can now read his local wreck bio's on line at the peninsula pulse.com? he covers wrecks off Door county Bay and lake side weekly,is privy to the divers that have been to the sites long before google earth and MSN-the old fashion way (fly overs) I did help Russ  with WUAA this summer with the mess of wrecks that lay all over Baileys Harbor as they were undertaking a week survey this summer and had one site miss. I found it in a minute on MSN !
Jon's a great guy and if you email him or call him with the particulars he can ussally name the site real quick for you!
hit me up and I can pass his Phone # on to you,

The Australasia photos photos are in his book from a air shot (Door Peninsula Shipwrecks)-about 3/4 mile from Cave Point 16' to 26' of water and comes and goes like most shallow sites
I think I have the GPS no#s they are out ,boat access to far for a shore swim dive kayak? ,
OBTW did you use MSN yet to look at the map/photos? Jon introduced me to the author of WGTS book and man they are still finding new wrecks in the Bay! sounds like some real cool ones too,,, cant wait till the ice goes out!!
Brad
Another target.  Crosshair is on it.

Another target.  Might be a small boat off a stone pier.  Easy snorkel depth.

Another pair of targets on either side of crosshair.

This is a little interesting.

Here's another interesting site off S L Michigan/Mt Lookout road.  Possibly a hull further out.

Pages: 1 2 3