wiscuba.com

Full Version: is this a death wish?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
     So, when I lived in down south in a warm state, I got a fantastic deal through a friend for a set of new ScubaPro gear--mind you I was diving in an average temp of 80 degrees.  I moved back to Wisconsin and everywhere I go, people ask me what kind of regulator/gear I have.  I've now heard from at least 5 people that ScubaPro is going to be the death of me... "scubaflow" in cold water.  It has been rumored to "free flow" in cold water at depth.  I have used my regulator in as cold as 38 degree water and it worked just fine.  I have the MK25/S600 model. Is this a time bomb waiting to go off or am I probably ok?  And is this just with certain models or all?  Anyone have expertise or experience with this?  I wonder what the true statistics are with it failing, that would be interesting to find out. 
You will be fine.  Take care of it, have it serviced properly.  Unless you have a crazy air consumption rate (which would cause a problem for any brand) you will be fine.
Greg is right.  This type of ScubaPro regulator will work fine under the hardest cold conditions around here as long as it is properly maintained.  There was an issue with a certain ScubaPro model about 5-6 years ago, but this was limited and I have not heard of this problem since.  There are a lot of good sources of information on ScubaPro, give Bob at DivePoint in Stevens Point if you have any doubts.

And this is from a die hard Posidien user.

Doug
Scuba Pro regs got a bad rap for the whole freeflow thing.  The problem is caused by the Intermediate Pressure or IP being set too high.  The regs work well when the IP is set around 120 psi.  Chris H dives Scuba Pro regs and he has had no problems in 38 degree water at depths over 200 ft.  You should have no worries if the IP is properly set.
I haven't had any issues in the last five years since I switched from Poseidon to Scubapro.  Nearly all of my dives are in cold water...salt water tastes icky  Tongue  I first had the MK25/G250HP and now I have the G250V.  I think I currently have four G250V and I had five G250 HPs.  I never had to call a dive due to a regulator issue.  As the others have mentioned, a lot of the cases where there were problems with Scubapro regs, the IP was very high.  I don't feel like going to the garage to check right now, but I think I have the IP set around 130 +/- a couple PSI.  120 sounds low to me.  I can check it tomorrow to give you a better idea.    Regardless of what we tell you, the most important thing is that YOU trust the regulator you are using.  There is nothing worse than spending a dive waiting for your regulator to give you problems.

Yeah, what he said.  I thought it was 120 but if he says 130 run with it.

No Problemo!  One of my dive buddies has the same MK25/S600.  Although he routinely dives warmer locales, they work great in cooler water as well.  It's also a fine reg for using Nitrox.  If you had the Titanium second stage, then you could not because there is a reaction to the titanium.  Yours is the Stainless Steel model as denoted by the "S".  Best wishes and Happy Diving!
You guys are great!  Thanks so much for the feedback, and if anyone else has any input on either side of the matter, please post!  This makes me feel much better. 
Chris knows his stuff on this.  Below are pictures of working Posidien regulators with a layer of ice on them after diving the Wolf River under anchor ice conditions.  So take it easy on my favorite regulator, you know I am sensitive. :Smile

Dive on dudes!

Doug

[/quote]

This is very useful information.  I will check tomorrow to see what I'm set at. Thanks.
Pages: 1 2 3