wiscuba.com

Full Version: DIR Details
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Speaking of classes I have someone who wants me to take Tech 1 with him next Summer. I've been wondering if I should do that instead of TDI adv nitrox+deco. One of my concerns is would I be able to get mix at every shop or just shops that accept GUE.
Jason,

The tech 1 class isn't really a mix class. When I went through it, we did not use any mix at all. It is basically an advanced nitrox and decompression procedures class. Just taught the GUE way, which means it will be a very intense experience.

It is an excellent class, just be sure that you already have the DIR fundamentals class under your belt, as it is now a prerequisite. (We will be offering one in June of 2004)

The class focuses on enriched air and triox, to a maximum depth of 150 feet. If you have the time, it is an excellent class. The only downside is you will most likely have to travel and take a week off to do it.
I know that DIR doesn't advocate the use of computers, although I do believe that they have their place. That place is in no decompression diving. Most people are not going to be willing to track their exposure and a dive computer is a reasonable tool to use in this environment. (I have outlined the computer/dive table issues in an earlier thread in this forum.)

When it comes to decompression diving, I don't think the only computer that has a place is the one that you use BEFORE the dive to plan. I take that back, the one that sits on your shoulders is pretty important during the dive also Wink.

As far as the wing debate, no I do not feel that using a double wing automatically makes you an unsafe diver, it simply means that you are not being as efficient as you could be in the water because you are setting up your dive kit for possibilities that will not realistically happen during the dive.

When I am looking for a buddy, their gear says a lot about them. If their gear is in good repair and set up properly, this indicates a certain mind set. While equipment is not the be all end all of a DIR diver, it is a place to start. You can determine the rest by a short discussion before the dive.

Your dive equipment setup should address any REASONABLE contingency that may occur DURING the dive. Carrying a double wing on every dive because a wing failure may cut a trip short is equivalent to wearing 2 drysuits just in case you may lose a few dives over a weekend if your tear a seal. In fact, following this line of reasoning, you may be better off with the extra drysuit on every dive, since drysuit seal failures are much more common than wing failures.

Now how about some discussion on hose routing/length?

OK Gert, I'll bite.

Breathing the long hose works really well. I sometimes have problems with it floating up into my valves and limiting my range of motion, but that is usually because I managed to pull it from my waist strap because I don't have a canister light.

I switched to the 24" HP hose with the single gauge because I saw you unclip, read, and re-clip yours in a matter of seconds. It was a bit of a struggle at first because it is so darn short, but I mostly have it figured out now.

For routing, I have the BC Inflator and Long hose on the primary reg(Right post)and the Dryuit inflator and the HP gauge on the back-up (Left Post). I found this on the GUE site and I think it was pictures of George's gear.

Why are the LP Inflators not switched? The BC could come off the Back-up in a nice straight path instead of the strange path it makes in my current configuration, and the Drysuit hose could come around the right side instead of the left. I don't have my equipment this way, but I have seen it done like this. You gave me a good answer for why the pressure gauge is on the left post. Do you have a good reason for the inflator configuration as well? Is it because the typical drysuit inflator routing is to the left side and if there was a problem with the inflator that is where a buddy would typically reach?

Thanks

Chris

Gert, we are hosting a DIRF class in Minneapolis next June. I believe that Tyler Moon and Dave Sweetin are the instructors. We may have a tech 1 class immediately after the DIRF if there is enough interest. DIRF dives will be in Minneapolis and Tech 1 at Wazee.
Chris,

First for those that are not aware, on a set of doubles, I will describe the hose routing. All descriptions are left/right as you are wearing the tanks.

Right post, primary regulator routes straight down behind the wing. BC inflator routed across the back of your neck.

Left post: Backup regulator, running behind your head and over your right shoulder and if not using argon, the drysuit inflator under your left arm, and pressure gage running straight down in front of wing.

Hose lengths are as follows: Primary, 5, 6 or 7 foot hose depending on your needs. Backup regulator either 22 or 24 inch hose, depending on regs being used. Pressure gage, 24 inch, BC inflator hose 24 inches.

The reason that you inflate the BC from the right post is so that the hose runs behind your head, allowing you to hear any leaks. The reason that you don't route the drysuit hose around the right hand side is so that when you use argon and place the bottle on the left side, you don't have a different routing than if you inflate with backgas. (argon is on the left side because your cannister light is on the left) The final reason is, and I hesitate to say this, but it is the truth. You put it there because that is the way you dive DIR, and that is what your team mate is expecting.

If anyone has other questions on why hoses are where they are, just ask.
Gert,

Just one small typo in your post. You meant to say that the light canister was on your RIGHT and your argon goes on the left.

Jon
8)

Omicron

For all the flack it gets, I like the system...I'm slooowly migrating towards it, in a way.

Spring straps, H-valves, two regs, properly set so that all hoses are pointing down and streamlined. Bungied octo. Bungied wrist compass. Bungied wrist computer. Long hose, routed properly. SPG without a boot on my left side waist d-ring.

Of course, there are a few things I do that aren't. I dive Poseidons....not necessarily the favorite reg of some, but I love 'em. I still actually use my computer...and I have never taken a dirf course. But the stuff works...very well...
It took me a little while to get used to the DIR configuration but I really like it now. The only thing that can be a PITA is the long hose without a canister light. It seems to have a tendency to hang up on, what I think is the right post. I cannot yet turn my head around 360 degrees like the WKPP guys ;D, in order to see what the hangup is but I'm working on it. I really like having the same setup for every dive whether its is a recreational dive or a technical dive. Changing configurations really sucks. I am also finding that I REALLY like diving with double tanks all the time. After Christmas I'm going to pick up a couple of steel 80's to mate with the manifold and bands I've got laying around. Then I will have two good sets of doubles and be set for a little while at least. It's good to invest in a bunch of tanks, right Chris? ;D

Todd
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5