wiscuba.com

Full Version: Argox
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, I have to ask, on one particular dive, I saw a stage/deco bottle laying out, and it was labeled argox. After the dive I asked the diver what was the deal, and I got the story. No, I won't give it away yet. Just wanted to know if anyone else has ever seen or done this?
have not seen it used......but i think argon (inert) is used to replace notrogen......if memory serves, you dont want to go very deep with this stuff as i recall reading that it is quite narcotic...
heck....i may just have to take the bottle off my mig welder and give it a try Tongue
*smirk* keep em comin'

Omicron

It is a very experimental gas yet in diving.

Argon, as we know, is an extremely heavy gas - it is typically used for drysuit inflation due to it's ability to provide enhanced insulation over air, and especially trimix.

The theory of using Argon mixes (argox) for deco is that you are maximizing the differentials (for lack of a better word...and I'm tired) between the helium and nitrogen in your body.  This could, in theory, lead to faster decompression/offgassing.

Just don't use it deep - it's narcotic as hell from what I've heard.

Interested to hear the response....
Some folks are making an argument for it that it would be a good drysuit gas....in the event of an emergency, a diver could breathe from theirdrysuit/pony inflation bottle..there are, of course different mixes..much like nitrox.  its narcotic depth is roughly 4 times that of air..so...60 feet or so would make for a pretty good buzz
You didn't mention what the gas fractions were or MOD.
Was it a stage or a deco bottle?  I'm going to assume it was a deco bottle.

I have not seen it used but understand the idea behind it.  Based on simple molecular weight and lipid solubility it doesn't seem to offer a significant advantage over using Nitrogen as a decompression gas.  Being dense, it may help to eliminate less dense inert gases because it ongasses at a slower rate.  Density can also be a drawback also in regards to regulator mechanics and human anatomy and the ability to exchange gas in high demand situations.   I think the drawbacks and lack of study documentation on the decompression use of Argon still far outweigh the potential benefits.  I guess there is a study done by Bennett and Elliott that illustrates "wrong-way" counterdiffusion has dramatic negative results in lab animals (He on top of Ar).  I have not read it but if anyone has a link please post it.

I would like to see what decompression model this individual is using and the logic pertaining to counterdiffusion, density, narcotic potential, etc.. that is significant enough to warrant using Argox.

So...waiting to hear the rest of the story..

Ok, so I'm sure we've all already checked . And, yes, technically, Argox is an experimental (very experimental) gas. And the jury is still out on the practical benefits (if any) of use as a breathing gas or insulating gas compared to the other more mainstream gases used.

Ok, so the story, by the by, the tanks were AL80s, no markings indicating gas fractions or MOD. We noticed these tanks outside Ginnie Springs, and later ran into the guy at Cave Excursions. His explanation for the "Argox" label was simple. He just didn't want anyone "f*cking with his bottles at the cave exit," hahah.

He probably wasn't a "DIR" diver then, huh??? ;D
I should have known that was coming ;D
Very humorous
Pages: 1 2