wiscuba.com

Full Version: Pony bottle size
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Is steel a problem if I have to donate it? I take the lead off the belt so I need the weight.

Sorry, is this too off topic?
I think you’ve answered your own question.
If you NEED the weight and hand the bottle off to someone else, what happens to YOU, the UNDER weighted diver? Steel deco bottles are for caves. Divers that carry their deco bottles with them "should" use aluminum. Your choice.
as all the others have said it depends on the depth you are at. To tell you the truth i've been lucky enough to only have had to breath off it for more that a minute or two while training in a pool. Never had to use it in real life, just training. In a ten foot pool it lasted almost 30-45 minutes, but this was without the stress of being out of air or other gear failure. Any other time I've used it was just to practice and i only breathed off it for one or two minutes at a time. One thing I push with my team is if you are switching to a pony bottle its time to end the dive and get your butt to the surface, not continue the dive on the pony. Like i said earlier I do not do tech dives so I couldn't comment on a good size if you later plan to use it as a decon bottle. We do use a 30cf for a 15 foot hang tank on our deep dives but we are not going over the recreational depths or times.
This topic was about size but now construction looks like a consideration.

I really meant to ask if that was 'the' reason or if AL had other advantages. One poster said it's too heavy but I need the same weight ether way.  I understand the exposure if I lose.

Scuba gear shouldn't be this hard to buy.
Aluminums trim out nicer and stay out of the way as the butt end tends to float up which is nice when the tank is slung  under your arm.
It's NOT hard to buy (just hard to PAY for ;D). Newer divers just need to be educated before buying, and this is a good place to ask questions. There are more considerations to gear choice than color or cost. The piece of gear also has to be the correct size for the job, and work well for the purpose diver intends to use it for. Lots of divers use stuff that's "good enough", but had they been better educated BEFORE the purchase, they could have gotten gear that was better suited to their purpose, for the same cost or cheaper, and only had to buy 1 time instead of 2 or 3 times.  Wink
Thanks for all the good responses.  To further expand on the pony issue from my original question regarding the pony:  To sling or mount on the back?  Had a buddy have some weighting issues with a steel 120 and 40 pony mounted on his tank.  What's the best set up?  Sling?  Mounted?  Let's hear you ideas.

Sling it.  Without a doubt.
this is how i personally dive with a single tank..120 with "H" valve and a slung 40

so i vote for "SLING"

On a wing and back plate with a necklace and a 7 footer yadda yadda yadda Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5