wiscuba.com

Full Version: E.R.Williams TR & Video Door County
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
E.R.Williams TR & Dive Video Door County

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its been some time in the works to get out to this wreck 21+ miles off the tip of Gills Rock,Door County Wisconsin.

The day was great( 8-04-06) and as usual no other divers to be found so my sons and I headed north to Ellison Bay,Door county to launch-on a sad note the marina is next door to the Cedar Grove Resort that was rocked by explosion due to a gas leak several weeks back,our family leaves its condolences to the children that lost their parents in this sad tragedy.

On arrival we found the marina nice and launching area easy to use with plenty off site parking,the lake was flat with 7 knot winds from the SE switching south,we headed out toward Washington Island across Deaths Door and making our way past Rock Island Toward St.Martin Island in no time at all less than 3/4 hour, on Arrival we found my confirmed GPS No#s good and a local Great Lake authors no#s we checked as usual about a 1/4 mile off! yes "Cris Kohls"

Hit the water just as a another diver showed up and my son tried several times to reach him via marine radio to give him my BT plan or let him tie off to my tag line set off as I OKed prior to the dive but to no response as he did stay 500 yards off thru the whole dive.

The dive was great with water temps on the Bottom of 53 deg,vis was only 35' to 40' on average but the wreck is a great dive,this old schooner for being a barge at the end of her life is so stately on the bottom even thou her stern is broke off, you can find her cook stove 40' off her stern on the lake floor and ropes & rigging on her deck and her large rail and wooden stock anchor and large holds and bow sprit and even some china & glass as this looks to staged by dive opp's as looters had picked her clean years back-SAD! 25 Min BT and short Deco and SS my sons greeted me as I boarded my boat we un hooked from the mooring and let the other dive boat in.

Then started the job converting a dive boat into a fishing boat as the boys had set the down riggers up and rods were set as we headed for the lee side of St.Martin Island we gave a try on some fishing nothing much on the locator's so we tore down and headed th Rock Island / Washington Island and found lots of fishing boats we set up and with several broken rods and one down rigger failure we managed to get two hits and both lost on light tackle! we vowed to return as this is for sure is Gods country seeing the pristine shores of the islands we past and the years of fond memories of times spent on Washington Island. as we headed back to Ellison bay a great sunset was had and appetites were up it was a great day!
Enjoy the short video I did on The E.R.Williams

Dive Safe,
Brad