wiscuba.com

Full Version: Willie & Dredge 7/2/06
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Dove the Willie first thing in the morning. Good vis, nice dive.
Then dove the dredge. Very cool. Decending the anchor line ran into huge school of alewives (thousands of them) They hung around the wreck entire time. Hanging on the line on the way up, school passed right by. If I was quicker, I would have been able to grab one. Quite a sight with all those fish above, below and beside you. Current was wickedly strong, but worth it.
Dove the Willie this morning before getting blown off the lake by a big storm.  Lake topside was nice, with <1 footers.  Vis kinda sucked, about 20' and the thermocline was just a few feet below the surface.  Did a pretty short 20 minute dive and wanted to see how close the storm was getting.  Was a little close so we headed in.  No sooner than we put the boat on the trailer did the wind whip up strong.  Lots of lightning as well.  Very nice show.  We sat in the truck for a while and watched it before heading back home.

This is my third dive on the Willie (all this year) and did my first penetration of it.  Very cool down in the engine room.  Also dove last Sunday, but the 3 footers were a little hairy for my 18' boat, and too much for one of my buddies....chummed the fish, but what a trooper....she did the dive anyway and didn't call it.  After the first dive, we headed back to shore to get her on solid ground.

Chad
Did the Willie and Dredge yesterday with the old crew. Vis on the Willie was 30-40 ft and the Dredge was substantially less (around 20ft). Did a half hour on each wreck. Tore a hole in my drysuit leg on the Dredge, digging around back in where I didn't belong ;D. Nice day to be out on the lake....
had a great dive on the dredge yesterday, topside was calm when we went in, raining when we came out.  Vis at bottom was pretty good i'd say, 30' maybe a little more, but no alewives or other critters, just a few small little fish hanging around on the bottom.  min temp was a brisk 44.  first time for me on the dredge, really a nice dive, lots to see, big pulley wheels and cable laying around.  good time.
Just came back from dives on the Willie and the Dredge today (8/12).  Because of al the east winds lately, temps were 62 down to the wrecks with 20-30 ft. viz.    Waves were probably 2-4 ft.  We had a  couple nice dives with 3LD and Divers Delight.  Great time.
Sat 9.2.06  Willie and Dredge off of the Mai Tai with Captain Rick.
Temp in high 60's at depth, no thermocline. Vis approx 15' on Willie  40' on dredge.
Thanks for the report, I will be there sat.
What's the "run down" on the boat? I've never heard of it. Where's he from?  Always looking for new opportunities to dive. Thanks! Smile
What's the "run down" on the boat? I've never heard of it. Where's he from?  Always looking for new opportunities to dive. Thanks! Smile
Quote:

9.5.06  Willie  -evening dive  Off the Mai Tai
Visibility probably 20 feet. Water as warm or warmer than Saturday. Ran into large school of very nice size perch.

The boat is a 40 foot catamaran set up for diving. Docks at McKinley Marina. Made 6-7 knots on way back in under full sail. Nice night to be on the water. Upon surfacing from the dive, there was a full rainbow to the east. Then treated to a nice sunset over the Milwaukee skyline followed by a bright moon to east.
Ah yes, Milwaukee's best kept secret ;D.
Pages: 1 2 3